Stok Palace, about 17 kms from Leh, was built in 1820 by King Tsepal Namgyal. Today, a portion is converted into a heritage hotel and Museum displaying family treasures including the queen’s ancient turquoise-and-gold yub-jhur (turquoise-encrusted crown) and a sword that the king’s oracle managed to bend into a knot, Uri Geller–style.
The Ladakhi King shifted to this palace in 1834 as his larger main palace at Leh was ransacked by the invading Dogra army. Well preserved, Stok Palace remains the current summer home of the Ladakhi royals.
Stok Palace was built entirely by Ladakhi craftsmen. The doors of this palace were opened to the public in 1980 by converting it into a heritage hotel with the blessings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Visitors continue to visit to absorb the surrounding beauty of Ladakh valley. A must visit place for visitors to Ladakh.